Carer’s Assessment: access to your personal information

Carer’s assessment: access to your personal information

Please note: Throughout this document we refers to Trafford Council and Trafford Carers Centre

Questions you may ask

Why do you keep information about me?

Information gathered for the carer’s assessment, as detailed within the Care Act 2014, will be stored and used to assist in identifying services that may be able to support you and the person/people you care for.

With your permission, this information will be shared with Trafford Council, Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust and other organisations, as required.

There may be certain times when the people working with you will need to share information without telling you or having your permission e.g. when it is felt that a child or adult is at risk of significant harm or to prevent a crime.


Types of information stored

(Not complete list)

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Gender
  • Ethnicity
  • Contact telephone number(s)
  • Details of organisations working with you
  • An assessment of your needs for support
  • Information about the person/people you are caring for
  • A plan of your needs for support

Who can see this information?

Your case coordinator will collect the information. Once the information is collated it will be shared with:

  • Staff at Trafford Carers Centre involved in giving you the support you need.
  • Staff working in other organisations using Liquidlogic. Liquidlogic is the IT system on which your assessment is stored. Staff are required to have a legitimate reason for accessing your information and to sign the acceptable use policy.

We will only share your information on a strict ‘need to know’ basis with staff in other organisations who are involved in your care. Normally we will not share with others before asking you but, if you or somebody else is in danger we may have to.

We may also share personal information with certain external agencies, when we have a responsibility under the law to do this.

How do you look after my information?

We make sure the information we keep about you is:

  • Relevant. We only keep the information we need to make sure you get a good service from us and other organisations supporting you and the person/people you care for.
  • Correct. We want the information about you to be true and up to date. You can help by telling us if you your personal information changes, for example if you change your name, address or phone number.
  • Kept confidential. The only people who can see your personal information are those who need it to provide you and/or the person/people you care for with a service.
  • Kept only as long as needed. We keep some information for a short time after the service we gave to you has ended. When we no longer need to keep information about you, we will not keep it or give it to anyone else.

What are my rights?

You have rights about how we collect and use information about you. For example, you have a right to see information we hold about you

You also have the right to complain if you are not happy with:

  • the information we are keeping about you
  • how well we have kept your information safe
  • how long we have kept your information
  • not being able to see the information we are keeping about you.

How do I see the information you are keeping about me?

To see your personal information, you need to make a request in writing to:

Chief Executive

Trafford Carers Centre, First floor, 19B School Road, Sale M33 7XX

You must include proof of your identity with you, such as your driving licence, passport or a utility bill (for example an electricity, phone or gas bill).

We must send you a copy of the information that you have a right to see, or arrange for you to see it at one of our offices, in no more than 40 working days of getting your request.

You can keep your own copy of any information we hold about you on our files.

What if the information is not true?

If you think any of the information we have about you is wrong we will, where necessary, change it, or make a note next to it of what you tell us is the right information.


What can I do if I am still not happy?

If we have told you that you cannot see information we hold about you, or that we will not change or remove information you think is wrong, you can write to:
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113