If isolation is getting you down try these fantastic lemon cupcakes. They’re sure to put a spring in your step!
Thanks to our brilliant volunteer Maria for the recipe.
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour
3 medium eggs
1 tsp baking powder
500g Icing Sugar
120g Unsalted butter
1 lemon + 30 ml of lemon juice (from the lemon or a bottle)
30 ml milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170 degrees. (I found this temp too low but my oven is old – turn up accordingly if necessary).
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
3. Cream together butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs 1 at a time.
4. Fold together flour and baking power into the mixture.
5. Grate in the rind from 1 lemon and mix in,
6. Divide equally between the cases and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
For the buttercream:
Grate a lemon into a mixing bowl, add the butter, icing sugar, milk and lemon juice together and beat until light and fluffy. Pipe over the cakes and add extra lemon rind for decoration if you would like.