The PEARs Grant, supported by funding from the Carers Trust Partnership with The Cooperative, is to support Young Carers to address the immediate personal barriers which would prevent them engaging with education, employment and training opportunities. Or to enable them to take part in activities that would otherwise be inaccessible, due to the caring role and/or the family’s financial situation.
Before applying, please make sure you meet the following essential criteria:
- Must be a young carer aged 17 or under, at the time of making the application, registered to our service
- The funding must be used to further the educational/employment prospects or wellbeing of a young carer.
- You must be able to provide receipts for purchases
- You must agree to the information in your grant being shared at a funding decision panel
- You must agree that your information can be used confidentially in a case study. Names will be changed to protect your anonymity.
- Had involvement with Trafford Young Carers in the last 12 months, either through attending groups and activities or talking to a case worker
- Not been in receipt of funding from us in the last 12 months. You are still able to apply for this round of funding but only for a new activity/need and you must demonstrate a strong case of why you need to access the fund again.
- Not currently in Education or employment and this fund will assist you to get back into education or employment
What will we fund?
You can apply for grants up to £150. Speak to Kirsty or Maddie if you are unsure on whether you meet the criteria of improving your educational/employment prospects and wellbeing.
What will we not fund?
- Any request that does not improve the educational/employment prospects or wellbeing of a young carer
- Any illegal or age inappropriate activities
- Any request that does not explain a clear need or difference that will be made
- Any trip/holiday other than a school/college trip. No trips outside of the EU
- Any request in which the full cost has not been accounted for. (We prefer the fund to cover the full cost of the request; however, if this is not possible you must be able to demonstrate where the other funds are coming from).
- Anybody who has accessed the fund before and not returned receipts
The decision process
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 26th July. Any applications submitted after this date will be forwarded to the next round which has a deadline for Wednesday 25th October.
We encourage a fair and transparent process. The panel will include young carer staff and independent staff members to ensure that the vote is not biased towards any young carer. All applications are scored and those that hit our minimum score will be allocated.
Priority will be given to Young Carers who have actively been involved in our services over the last 12 months and to Young Carers who have never received funding before.
You will know whether your request has been successful or not within 4 weeks of the deadline date.
If you are successful with your request, you will be sent a user agreement that you will need to read, agree and sign, before the funds will be released.